Music Libraries for Music, Sound Effects and Sound Media Sources; Music Library Association
The Music Library Association
The Music Library Association is the professional organization in the United States devoted to music librarianship and to all aspects of music materials in libraries. Founded in 1931, MLA provides a forum for study and action on issues that affect music libraries and their users. Members can start informal interest groups to exchange information or focus on specific issues. These include:
Black Music Collections
Jazz and Popular Music
Large Music Research Libraries
New MLA Members
Research in Music Librarianship
Small Academic Music Libraries
Vendor interest groups for automated library systems
Women in Music
Music Library Association
c/o A-R Editions, Inc.
8551 Research Way, Suite 180
Middleton, WI 53562
Although original music can add tremendously to any project, quite often time and money constraints often dictate that library music must be used instead. A large and growing number of professional libraries offer a variety of musical styles, sound effects and formats to fit virtually any production. This listing is organized by region and includes such information, when it could be obtained, as the style of the music in the library and the rights available.
- AirCraft Production Music Library
- 162 Columbus Avenue
- Boston, MA 02116
- tel: 800-343-2514
- tel: 617-303-7600
- fax: 617-303-7666
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eighty-eight CDs featuring specialty packages such as the American Music Series, Rock Sweepers and IDs and Ads Up! Music for Commercials. Special features include Speed Search for 30-second instant auditions; Co-Pilot, which splits tracks for assembly; and Connecting Flights, for identifying selections with similar styles.
- Manchester Music Library
- Phone: 888-846-3745; 413-369-4331
- Fax: 413-369-4303
- email: info@manchestermusic
- More than 100 CDs in a range of styles, from classical and orchestral to acid jazz and world beat. The Manchester Music Library is now available in combination packages with the Metro, Production Garden, Music Street and Essential Music libraries, offering a mix of five different sounds. Lease and buyout packages available.
- Zedz Music Production Music Library
- Phone: 617-324-1989
- Fax: 617-397-8863
- email: email@example.com
- Buyout library with three main styles: symphonic, contemporary and high tech. Categories are mixed on CDs. The Web site featuring excerpts.
- The Well-Tempered Music Library
- Phone: 508-947-7323
- Fax: 508-947-7387
- Web site: www.tiac.net/user/aheller
- Seven full-length, 77-minute discs carrying 427 tracks in commercial, classical, character and human-tech styles. Extended beds and alternate mixes and versions included. Designed for corporate, cable and educational applications.
- Fresh Music Library
- Phone: 800-545-0688; 603-643-3438
- Fax: 603-643-1388
- Web site: www.freshmusic.com
- A complete spectrum of buyout production music consisting of more than 45 CDs for film, video, multimedia and broadcast. SearchTrack, a searchable multimedia CDROM index with audition versions of every theme, can be found on the Web as a Shockwave movie.
- Producer Series
- Phone: 800-326-1387; 609-429-7144
- Fax: 609-429-1788
- Volume 2 features music in contemporary, funk, jazz and classical styles, and 20 sound effects -- a diverse collection for event, corpo- rate and broadcast applications. The volume consists of 10 original scores, each provided in four lengths, from stinger to ballad.
- TRF Production Music Libraries
- Chestnut Ridge
- Phone: 800-899-6874: 914-356-0800
- Fax: 914-356-0895
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- More than 50,000 selections of contemporary and traditional music on 4,000 discs. Libraries include Bosworth, MP 2000, Musictrack, Prime Time, Pyramid and Power Sound. Per-use and annual blanket licenses are available. Free catalogs and a music sampler available on request.
- Thomas J. Valentino
- Phone: 800-223-6278; 914-347-7878
- Fax: 914-347-4764
- Web site: www.tvmusic.com
- A comprehensive catalog of music that covers a wide range of styles, including classical, heavy metal and hip-hop. Free demos are available. Twelve subject-specific music libraries based on the Evergreen Collection are scheduled for release in 1998.
- DeWolfe Music Library
- New York City
- Phone: 800-221-6713; 212-382-0220
- Fax: 212-382-0278
- Production music and sound effects for corporate, broadcast, cable and interactive media producers. The library contains more than 275 music CDs and 20 sound-effects CDs. DeWolfe will customize a music plan based on a yearly royalty fee or a laser-drop program. A large classical and operatic catalog is also available.
- JRT Music, LLC
- New York City
- Phone: 888-578-6874; 212-253-8908
- Fax: 212-353-9317
- email: email@example.com
- Serves all aspects of the production community from Film and TV to Radio and Multimedia Productions with over 140 disks in an expanding library. Offers per cue, annual and blanket licensing as well as offer a 4 CD sound effects library on a buyout basis. Also offers custom scoring to customers from a studio in Paris, France. Music selection has everything from Classical to Rock, Techno, Drum and Bass, Solo Instruments, Orchestral Themes, Jazz, Blues, New Age, Australian, Celtic, Funk.
- Manhattan Production Music
- New York City
- Phone: 800-227-1954
- Fax: 212-262-0814
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Four music libraries for corporate, multimedia, broadcast and film applications. The Manhattan Library contains 50 CDs of specialty music. Apple Trax has 30 cutting-edge CDs, ideal for a hip market. Also offered is the 60-CD Grammy-winning Chesky Records Classical Series and six CD Sound Effects Series. The BRg Library offers 64 CDs in four categories -- contemporary, urban, extreme and country.
- Metro Music Productions
- New York City
- Phone: 800-697-7392; 212-229-1700
- Fax: 212-229-9063
- e-mail: email@example.com
- Contemporary American music with an emphasis on rock and grunge, jazz and acid jazz, dance and blues. Annual blanket, per-production and laser drop licenses are available.
- Radical Entertainment
- New York City
- Phone: 212-302-0555
- Fax: 212-730-0923
- Features a 20-CD UnderCover Records set with unconventional TV tracks. Genres include drama/ new age, alternative/modern rock, country, classical, children/comedy, dance, jazz, world, urban and achievement.
- MusiCrafters Library
- Phone: 215-425-8863
- MusiCrafters Library contains music produced in a wide variety of musical styles. The albums, all digitally recorded and mastered, contain acoustic and electronic performances. Many cuts are featured in alternate mix-out versions in long cuts and 60- and 30-second versions.
- Cathedral Sound Productions
- Capitol Heights
- Phone: 301-350-3181
- Fax: 301-324-3083
- Custom scores and edits of library selections in a wide variety of styles, including new age, jazz, rock and industrial. MIDI files can be downloaded, and customized recordings can be ordered from the Web site.
- Davenport Music Library
- Phone: 800-951-6666; 704-535-4171
- Fax: 704-535-4155
- Davenport is a royalty-free buyout productionmusic library. Each CD contains 10 long themes and six short edits per theme. Categories include the 12-CD Corporate (musical variety) Series; three-CD Industrial Series; a Contemporary Series; and a Sports/Action Series. Other series are planned. Call for a catalog and demo or to inquire about preview plans.
- Waveworks Music Library
- Phone: 703-527-1100
- Fax: 703-527-1308
- Currently in production, the Waveworks Music Library is scheduled for release in the spring. It will feature more than 40 hours of original music in a variety of genres and will include a CD-ROM search engine. Custom music will be available by contract.
- MVI Post
- Seven Corners
- Phone: 703-536-7678
- Fax: 703-536-9490
- More than 1,200 CDs containing music and sound effects, including music from APM, DeWolfe, Audio Action and Castle.
- Sweetsong Productions
- Phone: 304-428-7773
- Fax: 304-428-7773
- Eight CDs containing music for all types of productions, including the Wedding Library, the Holiday Series, the Relaxation Volume and Video Logos.
- Boca Raton
- Phone: 800-322-7879; 561-995-0331
- Fax: 561-995-8434
- Approximately 1,500 discs featuring a variety of musical styles and sound effects. Licensing is available on a needle-drop basis or through production blanket and annual licenses. CDs can be reviewed at no charge.
- Power House Music Library
- Phone: 407-843-5454
- Fax: 407-648-8246
- Twenty CDs using only live musicians. Styles include jazz, rock, country, classical and contemporary. Available as a buyout or via an annual license. Free demo CD available.
- Phone: 404-841-0303
- Fax: 404-841-0404
- Music supervision for all audiovisual projects. Can locate, recommend and provide any type of music. Complete music-license clearance services are available.
- 27th Dimension Music and Sound Effects
- Phone: 800-634-0091; 770-502-8744
- Fax: 770-253-9388
- More than 70 CDs of music and sound effects, plus specialty discs with country, rock and industrial music and mixed selections. Also available are sound bites for professional usage. Demo CDs are available.
- River City Sound Productions
- Phone: 800-755-8729; 901-274-7277
- Fax: 901-274-8494
- A buyout production-music library. The Broadcast Series CDs feature music in full-song lengths, followed by 60-, 30-, 15- and 10-second edits, in the sports, mellow, corporate/industrial, country, rock, high tech, atmospheric, urban and miscellaneous categories. Each of the Specialty Series CDs offers a specific style of music, including weddings, nature, country, corporate/industrial, mellow, Christmas, sports, orchestral, and solos and duets.
- 615 Music Productions
- Phone: 615-244-6515; 818-846-1615
- Fax: 615-242-2455
- Serving broadcast and cable-television clients worldwide, 615 Music Productions offers specialty-topic CDs, sports and news-promo beds.
- Wink Music/World Sounds
- Phone: 847-869-8863
- Fax: 847-763-1830
- The two-CD World Sounds library contains 140 minutes of international music and sound effects for advertising, corporate communications and new-media productions. Selections include West African music, Scottish bagpipes, Brazilian sambas, Native American flute and Mississippi Delta bottleneck blues. A Latin American CD is planned for 1998.
- Signature Music
- Phone: 800-888-7151; 219-921-0205
- Fax: 219-921-0704
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thirty-four buyout CDs for corporate, educational, medical and government productions, with full-length themes, broadcast edits and musical effects. Real orchestrations, acoustic instruments, plus hot electronics are available and are TuneBuilder-enabled for automatic editing. Buy out individual CDs or get all CDs up front and buyout over four years.
- British Audio Designs
- Phone: 877-744-3472
- British Audio Designs presents the Best of B.A.D., a CD collection in the Composer Series containing production soundtracks and cues for film, video, multimedia and broadcast. Styles include neo-classical, world fusion, jazz, techno, ambient, rock, pop and funk. Instrumentation ranges from live orchestrations to cutting-edge contemporary synthesis.
- Flying Hands Production Music Library
- Phone: 800-536-6007; 502-451-8001
- Fax: 502-451-0090
- http://www.flying hands.com
- Contemporary buyout production music featuring the AV, High Energy, Maximum Variety and Unplugged Series. Each CD contains long versions and many 60-, 30-, 15- and 10-second cuts. "Try before you buy" plan gives customers four weeks to decide whether to purchase. Customers receive non-exclusive lifetime blanket license. Ask about free music for first time buyers and the preferred customers list.
- Gene Michael Productions
- Phone: 800-955-0619; 616-695-4000
- Fax: 616-695-4005
- email: email@example.com
- Original, digitally recorded "visual" music in styles that fit a variety of production needs. More than 62 CDs are in the library, with new releases appearing every quarter. Available through a buyout license. Thirty-day previews are available at no cost.
- Crank City Music
- Phone: 800-547-6547 614-761-8373
- Fax: 614-761-8373
- A royalty-free alternative to traditional production music featuring new compositions, unique arrangements with key changes, evolving themes and natural-sounding endings. Contemporary instrumentation with live players, MIDI instruments and a variety of musical styles. CD-Audio and AIFF/WAV formats are available with introductory pricing and a riskfree "test drive" offer.
- The Impact Music Library
- Phone: 800-779-6434; 920-779-6434
- Fax: 920-779-6434
- Eight extended theme volumes containing nine complete music packages per disc. Each CD also contains motivational vocal themes. Four Short Takes volumes are available, with 15 instrumentally themed packages per disc in five- to 60-second versions.
- Narrator Tracks Music
- Phone: 800-448-6467; 715-384-4626
- Fax: 715-389-2834
- Narrator Tracks Music claims to be the bestselling buyout music library in the world.
- Phone: 800-622-7723; 760-747-5995
- Fax: 760-747-5994
- Introducing MusiCopia, Volume 1, a collection of royalty-free original themes and underscores composed by John W. Scott. Themes run from 10 seconds to two minutes; the disc contains 44.1 kHZ audio CD tracks and DSP resampled Macintosh AIFF and Windows WAV files.
- Associated Production Music
- Phone: 800-543-4276; 213-461-3211
- Fax: 213-461-9102
- More than 1,500 CDs representing KPM, Bruton, Sonoton, Carlin, Selected Sound, NFL Music, Castle, Sonia Classics, Intersound, Themes International and Cinemusic. More than 120 new releases per year, a preview Hitline, free listening rooms and four music directors for assistance.
- The Hollywood Edge
- Phone: 800-292-3755
- Fax: 213-466-5861
- A full buyout library with 30 CDs representing a cross section of music from classical to rock. Three new CDs every quarter. Call for free demo.
- Match/Killer Tracks
- Phone: 800-454-5537; 213-957-4455
- Fax: 213-957-4470
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Match Music has joined the Killer Tracks family of production music, now representing nearly 800 CDs of music. Libraries include Killer Tracks, Atmosphere Music, NJJ, Koka Media, Josef Weinberger, Match Music and more. Killer Tracks specialized in background music for film, television, radio, video and multimedia.
- OGM Production Music
- Phone: 800-421-4163; 213-461-2701 Fax: 213-461 -1543
- Specializing in video, cable, CD-ROM, interactive, broadcast, commercial, theatrical and corporate productions. The OGM Premium line has been combined with the OGM Professional series.
- Opus 1 Production Music Library
- 12711 Ventura Blvd. Suite 170
- Studio City, Ca. 91604
- Phone (818) 508-2040
- Toll Free (888) 757-opus (6787)
- Fax (818) 508-2044
- email: email@example.com
- The Opus1 Music Library is a company of the Alan Ett Creative Group and represents ten different music libraries from around the world.
- Phone: 800-828-6664
- Fax: 213-962-4556
- Music and sound effects libraries for broadcast and non-broadcast productions. CD-ROM audition program available for IBM and Mac systems. Many licensing packages offered for annual or per-production use.
- Producers Sound Effects Library
- Phone: 800-826-3397
- Fax: 213-969-0248
- A license-free buyout sound effects library available by category on CD or the medium of your choice. All sampler platforms are supported.
- TunEge Music Library
- 333 Washington Blvd #343
- Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
- Phone: 800-279-0014
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Creative Support Services
- Los Angeles
- Phone: 800-468-6874; 213-666-7968
- Fax: 213-660-2070
- Access buyout music online and audition 5,900 complete tracks without having to download. A complete key word database, F.A.Q.,, order form and CD-demo-request also available online. Sixteen libraries for every price and demographic consideration, including Target Traxx, with discs just $48 each with a 10-disc purchase.
- WHo DId THaT MUSIC LIBRARy?
- Los Angeles
- Phone: 310-442-1440
- Fax: 310-442-1448
- email: email@example.com
- Real instruments and live musicians combined with multiple Grammy, Oscar, Emmy, Clio, Gold and Platinum award-winning composers whose work is heard on national commercials, feature films, TV shows and hit records. With 28 CDs, the library offers over 500 titles and six to eight CD updates produced per year.
- Perfect Music Hotline
- Phone: 650-738-9601
- Fax: 650-738-9603
- Special hotline number (900-329-4040, ext. 922, costs $1.98 per minute) features royaltyfree, buyout CDs in every category, representing more than 10,000 themes from more than 20 major companies. ~Best Of' category changes every two weeks.
- Network Music
- San Diego
- Phone: 800-854-2075: 619-451-6400
- Fax: 619-485-7598
- The Production Music Library contains 173 CDs in specialty, business, sports, ultracontemporary, seasonal and comedy styles. The Sound Effects Library has 80 CDs; the Production Elements Library features seven CDs in the ShockWave category, seven in Brainstorm and 12 in Spike & Glide. The 54-CD Short Trax Library has over 4,000 broadcast-length tracks for spots, promos and jingles in a full range of musical styles and categories.
- San Francisco
- Phone: 415-333-7653
- Fax: 415-333-5022
- Representing A Poke In The Ear With A Sharp Stick sound-source discs for musical composition, multimedia, film and video applications. A large library of AIFF sounds for Mac-based programs. The latest release, Etymology, by Fred Frith and Tom Cora, contains a profusion of string and wire manipulation techniques and effects.
- San Mateo
- Phone: 415-696-9400
- Fax: 415-696-9404
- Internet-ready music files in a variety of genres, including ambient, classical, technotrance, house, corporate, underground and jazz. All tracks are created by award-winning professional composers. Libraries of sonic icons are available for user-interface sounds.
- Delta Music
- Santa Monica
- Phone: 310-268-1205
- Fax: 310-268-1279
- Hundreds of classical, jazz and nostalgia recordings available for licensing. Call for a catalog.
- Brian Bennett Music
- Studio City
- Phone: 818-789-9100
- Fax: 818-789-5276
- Used by ABC, CBS and NBC, the Brian Bennett Music library is available to independent producers, syndicators and local affiliates. Brian Bennett has released four new CDs of original music for broadcast programs, commercials and multimedia applications.
- Music 2 Hues
- Phone: 888-821-7515
- FAX: 860-745-1312
- email: INFO@music2hues.com
- Music 2 Hues supplies royalty free production music and sound effects to a worldwide database of clientele. Over 40 CD's of music and sound effects. New CD's added quarterly.
- Tropical Visions Video
- Phone: 808-935-5557
- Fax: 808-935-0066
- e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A video production company specializing in documenting eruptions of the Kilauea Volcano, Tropical Visions has more broadcastquality video of the volcano than any other company. Footage is sold worldwide to TV stations, production companies, museums, corporations and individuals. Broadcast and non-broadcast rights are available. A 10-second minimum purchase is required. Rates are generally in the $30-to-$60-per-second range.
- 5.1 Marketing & Sales
- Incline Village
- Phone: 888-551-6789
- Fax: 888-515-0123
- Specializing in DTS 5.1 digital surround music CDs and representing the HDS, DTS Entertainment, Telarc and DMP labels. Recording artists include Paul McCartney, Steve Miller, Pavarotti and Friends, Eric Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, the Moody Blues, Elton John, Eagles, Alan Parsons, Mystic Moods, the Allman Brothers, Steely Dan and Chick Corea. Music and sound effects are available in wide-ranging themes and styles.
- gba Music
- Las Vegas
- Phone: 702-384-9228
- Fax: 702-383-0881
- gba offers composition and licensing of original music, complete post audio for video, an extensive sound effects library, original theme music and jingles formulated with the client's input, and SMPTE lock-up to video capabilities.
- FirstCom Music
- Phone: 800-858-8880 / 972-446-8742
- Fax: 972-242-6526
- email: email@example.com
- FirstCom's 15 world-class libraries deliver 38,000 compositions, growing by 100 new CDs a year. Award winning composers and musicians create a diverse library of high-quality, easy-to-use music from acoustic underscores to rage rock and everything in between. Special technology features include: MusiQuick® - an exclusive search engine that allows you to dash to the solution you need; QuickTrax ROM - for custom scoring around dialog or visuals. FirstCom is a distributor of BMG FX.
- The Music Bakery
- 7522 Campbell Rd., #113-2
Dallas, TX 75248
Toll Free: 800-229-0313
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A buyout music library of over 30 CDs featuring professional studio musicians playing acoustic instruments. Music categories include Active Underscores, the Seventies, Kidstuff, Geographical and Baroque Strings. Customers may order individual selections and receive cuts on custom made CDs. Users can select cuts by using MusicSearch software and edit them with the TuneBuilder CD-ROM.
- The Production Garden
- San Antonio
- Phone: 800-247-5317: 210-641-6677
- Fax: 210-641-7455
- Five libraries with approximately 85 CDs containing about 5,000 tracks. Customers can mix and match CDs. New releases include Life Is Good, Positive Note, Science and Technology and the Music Street Production library. Buyout and annual blanket licenses are available.
- ELS Productions
- Phone: 800-927-3472: 801-265-1552
- Fax: 801-266-5226
- Featuring a full buyout license, the library offers a combination of digitally sampled and live-instrument recordings. Most volumes contain long themes, but one full volume of broadcast-length music is available. Special package pricing is less than $15 per disc, with a sampler volume available for $5.
- PBTM Library
- Phone: 541-345-0212
- Fax: 541-345-8117
- Twenty-one CD volumes of broadcast-quality production music in a wide variety of styles and moods. Each volume contains approximately one hour of music featuring long themes and commercial segues. All demos can be sampled at the Internet site. Now TuneBuilder-enabled.
- AUDISEE Sound & Music
- Phone: 206-283-4733
- Fax: 206-382-1931
- With more than 40,000 titles, AUDISEE has one of the largest music and sound effects libraries in the northwest. Music is updated as new sounds become available. All major licensed libraries are available on a per project basis for advertising, radio, TV, trade shows, corporate communications, multimedia, animation, education, books-on-tape, films and more. No buyouts are available.
- Energetic Music
- Phone: 800-323-2972: 206-467-7101
- Fax: 206-467-8179
- A 29-volume library of buyout music, available separately or in a package. Musical styles and themes include easy listening, classical, industrial, technical, new age, logos and transitions, dramatic, romantic, country, comedy, sports and travel.
- Chris Stone Audio Productions Ltd.
- 45 Charles Street
- East, Toronto, Ontario, M4Y 1S2, CANADA
- Phone: (416) 923-6700 or Toll Free: 1-877-920-6700
- Fax: (416) 923-3351
- Morning Music (USA)
- Phone: 905-625-2676
- Fax: 905-625-2092
- email: email@example.com
- Representing Germany's Happy Records, whose 39 compact discs represent a broad range of styles including leisure, landscapes, history, big band and corporate; the Sound Music collection, 20 CDs of folklore, research and jingles; and Orange Power, six discs of corporate and sports music. A catalog of programs is available.
- Sound Ideas Production Music Library
- Richmond Hill
- Phone: 800-387-3030; 905-886-5000
- Fax: 905-886-6800
- Sound Ideas Production Music Library contains more than 100 CDs with more than 1,200 themes in 22 categories including romantic, industrial, action, sports, pop, rock and dance, all offered on a license basis. Music demo includes 21 free music tracks.
- Turner Broadcast Music Library
- Richmond Hill
- Phone: 800-387-3030; 905-886-5000
- Fax: 905-886-6800
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fifteen CDs with more than 400 broadcast-length themes in categories representing news, sports, drama, rock and jazz categories. Exclusive worldwide distribution by Sound Ideas. Offered on a license basis. Free demo available.
- Sonic Science
- Phone: 416-351-9100
- Fax: 416-351-0100
- Almost 500 original compositions available in the Sonic Source Music Library featuring a wide range of styles and lengths. Categories include Cities, Sports a News, Corporate Themes, Science, Drones a Pulses, Jingles and more.
Index Menu | Main Menu | Shopping Area | Message Board | Google Search